Indoor cycling classes are one of the top group exercises in North America and around the world for good reason. When they’re done right, these classes are tremendously effective workouts that can thrill and inspire. Historically, they have been done in large multi-purpose fitness facilities, the exciting news we have discovered at Spynergy Consulting, is that independent cycling studios are on the rise! In 2011 the business model came of age.
Spynergy Consulting has just completed our first review of independent cycling studios in North America*. How many indoor cycling studios or spin studios are there in the US and Canada? A relatively small amount, but the number is growing. My estimate is that there are less than 350 dedicated cycling or SPIN studios in North America, but 70 of those have been launched in the last 12 months alone, and dozens more are in the works. Compare this to yoga where there are literally thousands of studios, and I believe there continues to be huge potential here for the committed entrepreneur.
*For the purposes of this analysis I have defined a “Dedicated Indoor Cycling Studio” as a facility where group cycling classes are the primary activity. Some of these studios also offer other classes (yoga, zumba, pilates, etc.), but their primary activity is indoor cycling or SPINNING®. I have not included group cycle-training programs inside retail stores or other facilities. We also have a data on Europe and other regions of the world, that will come later.
In the past two years, Spynergy Consulting has received hundreds of inquiries from entrepreneurs exploring the dedicated cycling studio model. We have provided business plans, websites and other consulting services to over 175 studio starters and 51 of our clients have launched studios as of this writing. Dozens more are at some stage of launch or development.
As far as I know, here is the first published data on the independent cycling studio marketplace (remember, this data does not include cycling and SPIN programs being conducted at multi-purpose fitness centers and health clubs).
- While the number of cycling studios is growing, it is still on a very small base. Spynergy Consulting estimates there are just under 350 dedicated cycling or SPIN studios in the US and Canada
- California has the most studios, followed by New York, New Jersey and Florida (note: yes, these studios can do well in “warm weather” states).
- Other states with 5 or more studios identified include Massachusetts, Minnesota, Ontario and Pennsylvania, Texas
- Our review indicates 21 states where there is no identifiable independent, dedicated indoor cycling studio.
- Significant cities where we could not identify a single studio: Cleveland, Sacramento, Charlotte, Columbus, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, San Jose, Memphis, Hartford. New Orleans
- (Note: if you know a studio in one of these areas please let us know so we can add to our database).
Other data being collected on this studio database include type of bikes, other group-ex offerings and average studio size. Check the Spynergy Consulting website for further updates and data.
Spin®, Spinner®, and Spinning® are registered trademarks of Maddog Athletics
Spynergy Consulting owns and operates cycling studios in Boston and Chicago and also provides consulting and business services to fitness studio businesses around the world. Contact Bill Pryor firstname.lastname@example.org 781-254-3677